Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mmmm Buttermilk Syrup

We ran out of syrup the other day so I decided it was a good idea for me to make it. I've made buttermilk syrup before and love it, so make it I did. However, it is important to keep in mind that since the recipe calls for baking soda, the syrup does rise when hot! So obviously a one quart sauce pan will not be big enough. We had syrup everywhere...and when I srarted yelling i needed a bigger pot, Steven brought me a frying pan, which would have worked except I didn't take into consideration that the syrup wouldn't be as deep therefore needed less cooking time. So...when all was said and done, I had "burnt" the syrup aka made a nice caramel wich would have been lovely on apples, not so much on waffles, but carmel waffles we did have. If your looking for a good syrup, or a nice dipping carmel I highly suggest this recipe (for carmel just cook longer). This recipe supposedly yields 16, or 2 and 1/2 cups, so if you are a someone who uses 2 tablespoons on your pancakes, 16 servings it will yield, but I'm thinkin more like 5 servings....maybe

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions
1.In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment